No Video Jam 2 has officially begun!
To prepare for the jam I started writing a game design document over the past several days. My goal with this submission is to build upon what I’ve learned from S.E.A. to explore a fresh setting and new game mechanics.
Here’s what I managed to finish today:
- initializing my repository using my game engine as a template
- porting and customizing boilerplate code from S.E.A., including:
- autosave and storage system
- game and screen state management
- access hotkeys
- gameplay statistics
- user settings
- accessible menu screens and components
- basic graphical rendering
- developing a visual identity for the game and this page
- defining keyboard and gamepad controls
- outlining user documentation
- implementing lateral movement, turning, and sprinting
- transitioning between bipedal and wheeled modes
This build is playable but not very interesting. You can transform and zoom around a flat white plain in silence. Tomorrow I’d like to implement vertical movement and outline aspects of the vehicle sound design.